A slice of pineapple freshens up this burger, made from ground pork and sliced ham.
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 3/4 pound deli-sliced honey-baked ham, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (a palmful)
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices fresh pineapple
- 4 Kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup pineapple chutney or mango chutney
- 8 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
In a large bowl, combine the pork, ham, maple syrup, grill seasoning, hot sauce and mustard. Form into four patties.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pineapple slices and cook, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes total.
Place one patty on each roll bottom and top with some chutney, lettuce, a pineapple slice, onion and a roll top.