Italian-American-Style Tuna Melts
Serve with Three-Bean Pasta e Fagiole soup.
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 cup pitted chopped black olives, oil-cured or kalamata
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 12 ounces canned or jarred tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 top-split New England hot dog rolls
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
Pre-heat the broiler.
In a large bowl, combine the anchovy paste with the EVOO. Add the olives, onion, celery, tuna, lemon juice and pepper, to taste, and toss to combine. Lightly butter each side of the rolls and toast on each side under the broiler. Fill the rolls with the tuna salad and top with cheese. Arrange on a sheet pan and broil until the cheese melts. Transfer to serving plates and serve.