Jalapeño Blue Cheese Bacon Burgers
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 12 slices smoky, meaty bacon
- 1 Hass avocado
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 small plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- A small handful cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- Coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- About 3 tablespoons grated white or yellow onion and its juice, the rest of the onion halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 cup smoked or regular blue cheese crumbles
- 4 slices Pepper Jack, Blue Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- A few splashes of water or stock
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Chipotle Smoked Tabasco or Sriracha, to taste
- 4 burger rolls, split and toasted
- Gem or leaf lettuce
Bake the bacon on a slotted pan in a 375°F oven to very crisp. Chop 4 slices into bacon bits.
Mash avocado with lime or lemon juice, salt, red onion, tomato and cilantro.
Place meat in a bowl and season with Kosher salt and pepper. Mix in chopped bacon, Worcestershire, jalapeños, grated onion, garlic and blue cheese crumbles; form 4 patties.
Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan olive oil. Cook patties about 8 minutes turning occasionally; top with sliced cheese and melt.
While burgers are cooking, heat a small skillet over medium heat with 1 turn of the pan olive oil. Add sliced onion and allow to brown. Add brown sugar, water and hot sauce, and cook until sauce is reduced by half.
Spread avocado mixture on buns, top with lettuce, a burger patty, 2 slices of bacon and some onions. Set bun tops in place and serve.