Kale Gratin with Pancetta
Serve with Garlic-Buttered Sliced Steak with Onions.
- 1 1/4-1 1/3 pounds kale (about 6 cups), stems stripped and chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, grated (eyeball it)
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
Pre-heat the broiler but place the oven rack on the second shelf down from the heat source.
Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a deep skillet or pot. Add the kale and salt and cook 5-6 minutes; drain and dry the greens.
Return the skillet to the stove over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the EVOO and pancetta. Crisp the pancetta and add the cream and garlic. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper, then reduce for 7-8 minutes to about 1/2-2/3 cup. Add cooked greens to cream and stir to coat evenly. Transfer to shallow casserole.
Toss with breadcrumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Season the crumbs with salt and pepper and combine with cheese. Place the casserole on the second shelf under broiler and brown breadcrumbs and cheese for 5 minutes.