Middle Eastern Rice Bowl
Rachael says, “My sister Maria makes this dish in memory of our Grandma Betar’s cooking. As children, we loved Grandma Betar and her wonderful Middle Eastern cooking.”
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 boxes Near East brand rice pilaf mix (6 ounces each)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups store-bought hummus, for serving (optional)
- 1 bag pita chips, for serving (optional)
- Trimmed scallions, for serving (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips, for serving (optional)
- Cucumber sticks or disks, for serving (optional)
Heat a medium size pot over medium heat; add EVOO and butter. When butter has melted into EVOO, add pieces of chicken tenders.
A grown-up helper (GH) can chop the chicken tenders for you if you are not comfortable enough with your knife yet. Remember: all fingers should be tucked under; keep knife blade tilted away from your body; use a knife that matches your size and skill level. Wash your hands, knife and cutting board after handling raw chicken pieces.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Sauté the chicken, stirring, until lightly browned.
Add the rice pilaf and cook another minute or two.
Add chicken stock. You do not need to use the seasoning packets included in the rice mix; you’ll get your own flavor from cooking the rice in chicken stock.
Put a lid on the pot and raise the heat to high to bring the stock to a quick boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
Take off the lid and stir in cinnamon, parsley and almonds. Serve rice in bowls with veggies, pita chips and hummus on the side.
This is a great recipe for kids and the whole family from Yum-o! It’s good AND good for you. For more information about Yum-o! go to the Yum-o! website.