Monte Cristo Clubs ii
- 8 slices smoky center-cut bacon
- 1 loaf good-quality white Pullman bread, such as Amy’s hand-cut or Pepperidge Farm white
- 1 large or 2 medium leeks
- 4-5 tablespoons butter, divided
- Salt and pepper
- Deli-sliced Swiss cheese (1/4-1/3 pound)
- 4 thin slices ripe tomato
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce or chutney of choice
- 4 slices roast turkey breast
- 4 slices ham
- Deli-sliced cheddar cheese (1/4 to 1/3 pound)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 round tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons Dijon or grainy Dijon mustard
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Arrange the bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake to crisp, 15-18 minutes.
If the bread you are using has a crispy crust, cut 12 slices and trim the crust off 3. If using pre-packaged rather than freshly baked bread, this is unnecessary.
Slice and clean leeks, drain well. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet. Add leeks and sauté to tender, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Build the sandwiches: a slice of bread, Swiss slice, leeks, tomato slice, bacon, Swiss slice, trimmed (if using) crust slice of bread, cranberry sauce or chutney, cheddar, turkey, ham, cheddar, bread.
Heat a griddle pan over medium heat. Rub the griddle with butter.
Beat the eggs with the half-and-half. Coat the sandwiches in egg batter. Griddle to deep golden under a loose foil tent, 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
For gravy, heat a skillet over medium heat with 2-3 tablespoons butter. Whisk in a couple rounded tablespoons of flour and add the broth. Season with salt and pepper, the Worcestershire sauce and the maple syrup.
Cook to thicken up to coat spoon, then stir in the mustard.
Cut the sandwiches corner to corner and serve with maple-mustard gravy dipper alongside.