Mushroom and Shallot Spaghetti with Crispy Prosciutto
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1/3 pound sliced Prosciutto di Parma (thinly sliced but not shaved or it will be too thin to handle)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mixed or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 large shallots, peeled, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Freshly grated Pecorino and/or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup walnut halves or peeled hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat and, working with a few pieces at a time, crisp ham. Remove to cool and repeat. Break ham into pieces or slice into thin strips; reserve.
To skillet, add and heat oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add butter to oil and when it foams, add mushrooms and brown well, 10-12 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Add shallots and garlic to the browned mushrooms, season with salt, pepper and thyme. Stir 5-7 minutes, deglaze with wine. Add parsley and reduce heat.
Season pasta water with salt and cook pasta to al dente. Add half a mug of starchy water to mushrooms, drain spaghetti and toss pasta in sauce to combine. Adjust seasoning and serve pasta in bowls topped with some crispy prosciutto, cheese and nuts.