New England Turkey Burgers with The Works
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 McIntosh apple, cored, quartered and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
- Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 4 sandwich-size English muffins, preferably sourdough, fork split
- 8 leaves Bibb lettuce
In a nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the apple, onion and celery; season with the poultry seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for 5 minutes. Wipe the skillet clean and return it to the stove.
Pre-heat the broiler.
Add the turkey and parsley to the apple mixture, season with salt and pepper and combine with a fork; form into four 4-inch patties. In the skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for about 6 minutes on each side, lowering the heat for the last 2-3 minutes.
While the burgers cook, mix the cranberry sauce, orange zest and scallions. Toast the English muffins under the broiler, then remove and spread lightly with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
Place the burgers on the buttered English muffin bottoms, then top with the lettuce, lots of cranberry relish and the buttered tops.