Oven-Roasted Maple Gorp
Pack this energy boosting snack with Grilled Mushroom Salad Subs.
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup peeled hazelnuts
- 2 cups whole natural almonds
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (a couple of handfuls)
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries, such as Craisins brand (a couple of handfuls)
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- 1 cup chocolate and candy coated peanuts, such as Peanut M&M’s
Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
Place maple syrup on the stove with cinnamon and vanilla bean over medium-low heat to infuse the flavor. Warm syrup a couple of minutes, then remove.
Combine oats, hazelnuts, almonds, raisins, cranberries and seeds in a bowl. Toss with maple syrup and remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Spread the maple coated mixture out on a cookie sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
Remove the mixture from the oven and transfer to another cold pan, tossing the mix to quick-cool it. Once cool, toss with peanut candy and eat or pack up for a hike!