Crustless pizza with all the trimmings is possible with this fabulous frittata.
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tobasco brand
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 pound hot soppressata or pepperoni, finely chopped, or 2 Fresno chili peppers (for vegetarian option), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 sprig oregano, finely chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded on the large side of a box grated or thinly sliced
- A small handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- A few leaves of fresh basil, torn
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk (or half-and-half), Parmigiano Reggiano, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium to medium-high heat. Add the eggs and keep moving and settling them as they cook. When the eggs begin to firm up, transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until light golden and puffed but not cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the soppressate (or chili peppers), garlic, onion and oregano and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and cook to reduce slightly, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and simmer to thicken, 10 minutes.
Remove the frittata from the oven and top with the tomato sauce and mozzarella. Bake to melt the cheese, 8-10 minutes more. Top with the parsley and basil.