Pork Chops with Peppers and Onions
These lean pork chops with all the flavors of sausage with peppers and onions are a lighter version that’s just as delicious!
- 4 pork chops, bone-in, 1-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 onions, quartered lengthwise, then thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine or chicken stock
Place the chops on a plate. Combine the fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, granulated garlic, granulated onion and paprika. Season the chops with salt and pepper and rub generously with the spice mix.
Heat a cast iron skillet and a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of EVOO to each pan. Cook the chops for 5-6 minutes on each side in the cast iron skillet.
While the chops cook, sauté the peppers and onions, seasoned with salt and pepper, for 6-7 minutes in the second skillet. Then add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the tomato paste and stir for 1 minute, then add the stock or wine and toss for a minute more.
Serve the peppers and onions on top of the chops.