Ranch-Style Chicken Chili
Rach mixes a medley of ingredients, including ground chicken, charred poblano peppers, spices and fresh herbs, for this new chili.
- 4 poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cumin (a couple of palmfuls)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (a palmful)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup chives or scallions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- Fancy tortilla chips or baked tortilla chips, for dipping
Char the peppers over a gas flame or under the broiler with the oven door cracked to allow steam to escape. Place the charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam them. Let the peppers cool, then peel, seed and finely chop them.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and brown and crumble the meat. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Season with cumin and coriander, then stir in the chopped peppers. Add the stock and herbs and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with hot sauce, to taste.
Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream to combine. Serve with chips alongside for dipping.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.