Sausage and Fish One-Pot
This recipe is so easy, you may be up for preparing dessert as well! Serve with Limoncello and Lemon Cream Fruit Tart.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for liberal drizzling to garnish
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian hot sausage
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red or Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 haddock or cod fillets
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- Crusty bread, to pass at table
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Heads up: use a skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Add the sausage and crumble while browning it, about 3-4 minutes. While the sausage browns, crush the garlic and trim off the root end, then thinly slice the onions and potatoes. Add the garlic, onion and potatoes to the pan and toss to combine with the sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Douse the pan with half of the vermouth or wine; set the lid in place and cook for 10-12 minutes.
Next, add the tomatoes to the pan and gently turn them into the potatoes. Set the fillets atop the potatoes and douse with the remaining vermouth or wine. Season the fish with salt and pepper, to taste. Set the lid in place and cook for 6-8 minutes until the fish is opaque. Top the cooked fish with the parsley, juice of 1/2 lemon and a liberal drizzle of EVOO.
To serve, transfer the fish and sausage mixture from the pan into shallow bowls to hold the juice. Use the crusty bread to soak in the juices at the table.