Slow Cooker Meal: Fig and Fennel Chicken
Experience the enhanced flavors of chicken with figs and fennel slowly cooked in a Marsala broth. Garnish with Sicilian favorites, including a balsamic drizzle, cheese, fennel fronds, nuts and olives.
Collect all of Rachael’s Slow Cooker Meals!
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, cut in half
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges with root ends attached
- 2 bulbs fennel, cut into wedges with root ends attached
- 1 pint dried figs, cut in half
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- A splash of chicken stock
- 1 chunk Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Fennel fronds, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup pitted Sicilian olives
- Balsamic drizzle
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat two turns of the pan of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
Put the onions, fennel, figs, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Add the browned chicken to the cooker and gently toss everything around to mix. Pour the Marsala and chicken stock over the chicken and veggies, then place the lid on top and set the slow cooker for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
To serve, scoop into a shallow bowls and top with all the garnishes.