Spinoccolini Whole Wheat Pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh spinach, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pound whole wheat penne rigate
- 4 cups broccolini or broccoli florets
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, at room temperature
In a deep skillet, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, and the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, using a food processor, pulse the chicken broth and spinach into a thick sauce. Stir the spinach mixture into the onion and garlic in the skillet and cook until heated through, 2-3 minutes. Season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, then add the pasta and cook to al dente. During the last minute of cooking, add the broccolini to the pasta. Drain; then toss the pasta and broccolini with the spinach sauce and the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Serve in shallow bowls topped with a dollop of ricotta.