Steak with Tomato-Bacon Salad Topper
Serve with Grilled Shrimp with Chili Cocktail Sauce.
- 8 slices smoky bacon
- 4 flat-iron or sirloin steaks (8 ounces each)
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling, plus 3 tablespoons
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes or multi-colored baby heirloom tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded basil leaves
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for shaving
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Arrange the bacon on a slotted broiler pan or a cooling rack set over a baking sheet. Bake until crisp. Remove the bacon from the oven to paper towels to drain. Reserve.
While the bacon cooks, heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high. Rub the steaks on both sides with the cut garlic cloves and dress with a drizzle of EVOO, chopped rosemary and salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, basil and the remaining 3 tablespoons of EVOO. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Grill the steaks for 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, or more or less for desired doneness.
Chop the bacon and add it to the tomato salad, then fold in the arugula.
Serve the steaks whole or sliced with lots of arugula on top, garnished with a few shaves of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.