Stir Fried Shrimp and Fideos
In some parts of Spain, fideos (pasta) are used instead of rice when making paella. Check out this Mediterranean-inspired dish with a decidedly Asian twist.
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 pound fideos or very thin egg noodles
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound medium size shrimp, peeled and deveined, coarsely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce (to taste)
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (a couple of handfuls), chopped
Place a small skillet over medium heat and add the almonds. Stir frequently and cook until you start to smell them, about 3-4 minutes.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Once at a boil, add the noodles and cook them just a couple of minutes, to al dente, and drain.
While the water is close to coming to a boil, heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the EVOO ripples, add shrimp and cook for about one minute. Add peppers, scallions and garlic, and cook about three minutes more.
Add the cooked egg noodles to the pan, followed by the soy sauce, sherry and hot sauce and toss everything well to combine. Cook a couple of minutes, then season with salt and pepper. To serve, top each serving with some of the toasted nuts and chopped parsley.