Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Meatballs
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 cup white long-grain rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meatloaf mix or freshly ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 onion, 3 tablespoons grated and the rest chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 pasted and 2 sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetables oil plus additional for drizzling
- 1 small red cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar, preferred brand Bragg’s
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chili sauce, preferred brand Heinz
For the Special Sauce:
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a small saucepot, bring 3/4 cup stock to a simmer; add rice and cover. Simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then remove rice from pot and spread it out on plate or pan to quickly cool.
Season meat with Worcestershire, salt, pepper, allspice, cumin, paprika, grated onion, pasted garlic, cooled rice, egg and a drizzle of oil. Roll into walnut-size meatballs.
Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add cabbage, chopped onion and sliced garlic; season with salt, pepper and celery seed. Add cider vinegar and remaining 1 cup stock to the skillet and toss. Sprinkle with sugar and stir to combine; stir in chili sauce and soften cabbage, 20 minutes. Add meatballs to the skillet and place everything in the oven 15 minutes more to cook meatballs through.
Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for the special sauce in a bowl.
Serve meatballs and cabbage topped with special sauce.