Sweet ‘n Spicy Grilled Chicken Breasts, Curry Rice Salad and Orange-Scented Cornbread
- 1 box cornbread mix (8 1/2 ounces), such as Jiffy brand
- 1 navel orange
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- Softened butter, to grease baking dish
- 1 box plain rice pilaf, such as Near East brand
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (a palmful)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2-3 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds, roughly chopped
Pre-heat an indoor or outdoor grill to medium-high.
Pre-heat the oven according to cornbread package directions.
Prepare the cornbread according to the directions on the package, then stir in about 1 teaspoon orange zest, 1 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 cup honey. Grease an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish or a cake pan, add batter and bake according to package directions. Remove from the oven and then cut into squares or wedges.
Prepare the rice pilaf according to package directions, adding the curry powder and turmeric.
Once you have the cornbread in the oven and the rice pilaf working, start the chicken: in a large sealable plastic bag, combine the grill seasoning, chili powder, smoked sweet paprika and brown sugar. Spray the chicken breasts with cooking spray, then add to the bag, seal it and coat the chicken evenly in the mixture.
Spray the grill or grill pan, place the chicken on it and cook for 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
Peel and chop the orange into 1/2-inch pieces.
Fluff the rice with a fork and add the orange bits, scallions and smoked almonds.
Serve chicken with cornbread and curry rice alongside.