Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Mushrooms
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, wiped clean and chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs or 3 slices stale white bread, crust removed and crumble
- Milk, to moisten bread or breadcrumbs
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound Italian-style turkey sausage, removed from casings (if sausage does not have fennel seed in it, add 1 teaspoon seeds or 1/2 teaspoon fennel pollen)
- 2 handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 package chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and wrung dry in a clean towel
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon ground poultry seasoning or ground sage
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Heat olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and brown well then season with salt, pepper and thyme. Let cool.
Squeeze out excess milk from bread or breadcrumbs. Add them to a mixing bowl with the ground turkey, turkey sausage, cheese, egg, spinach, cooled mushrooms and pine nuts. Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning, and mix with your hands to combine. Drizzle meat with EVOO and use a scoop to roll 20-24 meatballs.
Arrange meatballs on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake to cook through, 18-20 minutes.