Turkey Meatloaf Burgers with Cranberry Sauce and White Cheddar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small McIntosh apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs (a rounded handful)
- 1 pound ground dark meat turkey (no white meat)
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (about 2/3 palmful)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Sliced sharp white cheddar, for topping
- 1/3 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 4 large sandwich-size sourdough English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 4 leaves red leaf or red romaine lettuce
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the apple, onion and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook under a loose foil tent until softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the breadcrumbs, then transfer to a bowl to cool; reserve the skillet.
Mix in the turkey, egg, parsley, mustard and poultry seasoning into the breadcrumb mixture; season with salt and pepper. Form into four 4-inch patties.
Wipe out the reserved skillet and add a liberal drizzle of EVOO. Warm over medium-high heat, add the patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 11-12 minutes. Melt the cheddar cheese over the top during the last minute.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cranberry sauce, sour cream and chives.
Serve the patties on the English muffins with the red onion, lettuce and cranberry-sour cream sauce.