Turkey Patty Melt with Apple Radish Slaw
This is a yummy figure-friendly recipe that will actually satisfy your burger cravings!
- 1 package all-white-meat, ground turkey breast (about 1 1/3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2-3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened but not melted
- 8 slices multi-grain sandwich bread
- 8 slices Havarti cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup spicy brown mustard, divided (1/4 cup for slaw, 1/2 cup for dipping on the side)
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 sack store-bought shredded cabbage
- 10 radishes, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced
In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, dill, scallions, sweet pickle relish, salt and pepper.
Score the meat into four equal parts and then form four patties, about 1 1/2-inch thick. Drizzle them with EVOO and set aside.
Wash your hands thoroughly after handling the raw meat.
Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add one tablespoon EVOO. Place patties in the pan and cook 6-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
In the bottom of a medium size bowl, stir the sour cream, honey, lemon juice, mustard and the parsley to make a dressing.
Add the cabbage, radishes and apple to make a slaw.
While the patties are cooking, spread a thin layer of butter on each slice of bread, then turn them over and place a slice of cheese on each of the non-buttered sides of the bread.
Put a cooked patty on top of the cheese, then top with another cheese-sided slice of bread. Place the sammies buttered side down in the skillet over medium heat and cook until golden and the cheese is melted, about three minutes per side. Serve the patty melts with some spicy brown mustard for dipping and the slaw alongside.