Wa-Zone (Waffle Calzones)
Collect all of Rach’s waffle recipes during “Waffle Week!”
- 1 cup fresh ricotta or part skim ricotta
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- A handful of basil, chopped
- About 1/2 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated or minced
- Fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 round pizza dough
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Pre-heat a waffle maker to high.
In a medium size bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, parsley, basil, provolone, garlic, salt, pepper and a little EVOO.
Halve the room temperature dough and roll out the doughs into 8-inch rounds. Spread half the ricotta cheese mixture all over the dough, leaving a half-inch around the edge. Lay a few slices of mozzarella across on side. With your finger, rub water around the edge of the round. Fold the dough over and crimp the edges.
Lay the calzone in the waffle maker and gently shut. But do not apply pressure. Let cook until brown or waffle maker sounds. Repeat for other piece of dough.
Serve with your favorite marinara sauce as a dipper.