Warm Greek Salad with Sliced Steak
Contrasts of temperatures, tastes, and textures make this an outstanding salad anytime of the day. Swap in fish, chicken breast or mushrooms as alternatives to steak.
- 1 large baking potato (1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 small shallot, grated or minced
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 lemon, juiced, plus 2 teaspoons zest
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 sprig oregano, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided, plus more for drizzling
- 12-5 pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds flat-iron, flank or sirloin steak (about 1-inch thick), at room temperature or sustainable white fish or boneless, skinless chicken breast or portobello mushrooms
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cubanelle frying pepper or small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 5 cups leafy romaine tops, arugula or spinach
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Sliced light green pepperoncini (green pickled peppers), for garnish
Place the potato in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until firm-tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
In a bowl, combine the shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, mustard, oregano and crushed red pepper. Whisk in about 1/3 cup EVOO to combine. Stir in the olives.
Pre-heat a grill pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Drizzle the meat (or whatever protein you are working with) with EVOO and rub all over; season with the rosemary, salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook, turning once, for about 8 minutes for medium-rare. Let the meat rest for a few minutes, then slice on an angle.
Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, heat the remaining EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the potato cubes, season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned, 3-4 minutes. Flip the potatoes and add the onion and frying (or bell) pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Reserve the skillet.
In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, parsley, feta and pepperoncini. Add the contents of the skillet to the bowl and combine.
Meanwhile, add the dressing to the skillet and heat for a minute. Pour over the salad and toss to coat. To serve, arrange the salad on plates and top with steak.