White Meat Sauce
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound ground beef, 80% lean
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 1 carrot, grated or minced
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, very finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt, pepper
- 2 tablespoons sage leaves, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 1 large, fresh bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, a pinch
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- A small handful parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pound mezze rigatoni or other small cut pasta
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1 cup plus more to pass at table
Heat olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add butter and when it foams, add the meats, crumble and lightly brown. Add carrot, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, sage, bay, nutmeg and cloves to pan and cover. Cook 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, to sweat the vegetables. Add tomato paste and stir a minute; add wine and evaporate. Add stock and milk, bring to a bubble, reduce heat and simmer 25-30 minutes over low heat.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook pasta to al dente, reserving 1 cup starchy water just before draining. Drain pasta and toss with sauce, cheese and starchy water. Pass extra cheese at table.