Whole Wheat Linguine or Spaghetti with Peas and Herbs
Lovely shades and scents of green herbs and peas mix with pasta and cheese in this meal.
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain linguine or spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shelled spring peas or 2 cups defrosted frozen organic peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Finely ground pepper
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Heat a pot of water to a boil for the pasta; once boiling, salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat with the EVOO, two turns of the pan. Add the butter to the EVOO and melt. Add the onion and garlic and cook to soften, 5-6 minutes.
In a saucepot, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Drop the peas into the stock and cook for 5 minutes. Remove half of the peas and add them to the skillet. Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper and let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
In a food processor, add the parsley, tarragon, mint, lemon zest, remaining peas and the stock. Process until combined.
Just before draining the pasta, reserve a cup of the starchy cooking water, in case the sauce is too thick.
Drain the pasta and add it to the peas. Add some starchy cooking water and toss vigorously for 1-2 minutes. Top with cheese and serve.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.