How long can you keep chicken in the fridge?
How long can chicken be (kept) in the fridge uncooked? If I have breaded chicken cutlet I’m never sure how long (it can last in the refrigerator) and I tend to cook it all at once. (Also) I feel like I’m limited to what I can do with the chicken once its cooked.
Thanks for your help,
According to Foodsafety.gov, whole, uncooked poultry (chicken or turkey) is safe in the refrigerator for 1-2 days and safe in the freezer for up to 12 months. Poultry pieces are safe in the refrigerator for 1-2 days and safe in the freezer for up to nine months.
Cooked poultry is safe refrigerated for 3-4 days and in the freezer for 2-6 months. You can also freeze your cooked breaded chicken cutlets (Foodsafety.gov specifically lists nuggets and patties) for 1-3 months.
Freeze your cutlets in freezer bags, with layers of parchment if you wish. As for ideas on what to do with cooked chicken or breaded cutlets, here are some ways to get creative with leftovers:
- Slice and toss with pasta and veggies or in your favorite mac and cheese recipe (try this yummy chicken caesar mac)
- Chop up the chicken and toss with greens and veggies for a healthy salad
- Place in a pita or tortilla for a yummy sandwich
- Make some pasta, top with a cutlet, then jarred marinara sauce, and some cheese – place under a broiler and you have chicken parm
- Have panini night by layering a chicken cutlet with spinach or arugula, red onion, avocado, tomato and cheese – grill and you have a tasty sandwich
Here are some of Rach’s favorite recipes using chicken cutlets:
- Stuffed Cutlets
- Chicken Cutlets with Fennel, Peppers and Onions
- Chicken Milanese, Everything-Style
- Spicy Chicken and Cheddar Waffle Sandwiches
Note from Team Rachael: This post was updated in Feb. 2018! Top image courtesy of The Rachael Ray Show.