Gluten-Free Breakfast: Quinoa Pancakes
We eat a lot of pancakes in our house – a lot! I love to play around with different, flavored pancakes to give my boys something new and exciting to try, depending on the season.
Recently, I decided to try my hand at some gluten-free quinoa pancakes. If you aren’t familiar with quinoa, its a good gluten-free source of protein, iron, and fiber. And don’t stress if you’ve never heard of it before – you can find quinoa flour in the natural or baking section of most supermarkets these days.
These pancakes do have a slight nutty flavor, which I really enjoy. I also love that I can eat a pancake breakfast and not have the carb-crash after doing so.
For your own spin, and to give your favorite pancake recipe a nutritional boost, try replacing half of your all-purpose flour with quinoa flour.
Makes approximately 12 pancakes
2 cups quinoa flour
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp. canola oil, plus more for cooking
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, whisk together quinoa flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon.
2. In another bowl, whisk together milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs until well-combined.
3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Heat a well-oiled, large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add batter to skillet/griddle in 1/4 cup scoops, and cook until small bubbles just begin to form on the pancake’s surface.
5. Flip and cook the opposite side for another 1-2 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with syrup.
More gluten-free goodness, please!