Perfect Banana Crumble Muffins
I had some overripe bananas staring at me for a few days, so I knew some sort of banana bread/baked good was in my future.
Tired of my same ol’ tried-and-true banana muffin recipe, I decided to jazz it up a bit with an easy crumble topping.
It turns out this topping brought my muffins from ordinary to extraordinary, and it’s safe to say I will be making them like this from now on. The crumble adds a slightly crunchy, sweet element to a moist and delicious muffin – perfect alongside a steaming cup of coffee or tall glass of milk!
Here’s how to make ’em:
Banana Crumble Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 medium, ripe bananas
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, light brown sugar, granulated sugar and salt. Then with your hands, work in the butter until large clumps form. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
2. Preheat your oven to 375 F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
3. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
4. In another bowl, mash the bananas. Add egg, oil and vanilla and mix well.
5. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and stir until it just comes together.
6. Fill prepared muffin tins halfway…
…then evenly distribute with crumble topping.
7. Bake muffins for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
More muffin goodness: