Rachael’s Yum-o! Organization Raises 11 Million Meals for Hungry Americans
[This post originally appeared on Yumo-o.org]
We are ecstatic to announce that we’ve reached an incredible milestone. The #9MillionMeals campaign has come to a close, and we hit our goal! And not only did we reach it, but we surpassed it: We raised enough money to fund over 11 million meals for hungry Americans everywhere, in partnership with the Rachael Ray Show and our friends Feeding America & No Kid Hungry. On behalf of Rachael & everyone at Yum-o!, thank you for your wonderful support! We couldn’t have done it without you! But, our work isn’t done yet…
Every day, millions of Americans don’t get enough to eat or simply don’t know where their next me will come from. In fact, one in six people (49 million) struggle with hunger in the U.S., according to our friends at Feeding America.
At Yum-o!, one of our key initiatives is to help our friends and neighbors who don’t get enough to eat. Whether it’s through big pushes like Rachael’s #9MillionMeals campaign, donating our time, the dollars you donate to help us in our push to fight hunger, or simply creating awareness about the issue of hunger, we try to make a difference in people’s lives every day.
We work with incredible partners across the country who specialize in real, actionable work to change our food landscape. And because the work is not done (yet!), we wanted to collect some of their favorite ideas on how anyone can join the fight against hunger and help create real change. Check these out:
- To find out how to volunteer most effectively, check out HungerVolunteer.org.
- If you or anyone you know needs food, call the USDA National Hunger Hotline 1-866-3-Hungry or visit their website.
- Wanna talk to your Congressional representatives? Bread from the World has a good template on how to write to Congress.
- Continue to stay involved by volunteering at your local food bank, which you can find using Feeding America’s Food Bank locator.
- Educate others in your community about domestic hunger by advocating on behalf your neighbors in need with your local legislators.
- Donate what you can – every $1 helps provide 10 meals to those in need!
- Spread the word about free summer meals for kids in your community.
- Host a bake sale with your kids to learn about hunger and make a difference.
- Learn more about what’s happening right in your neighborhood with our Local Action locator.
The road to ending hunger in America is a long one, but we know we’ll get there. On behalf of Rachael and everyone at Yum-o!, thank you for making a difference!