8 Summertime Sweets & Eats for Melon Season
Summer melons are a treat like no other. Juicy and sweet beyond belief, picking a perfect melon can make your meal – and let’s be honest, your day!
There are a lot of ways to test out your melons before you buy, but here are a few of our favorite tips to get started:
- Choose melons that feel heavy for their size. Melons contain a lot of water, so you want them to be dense. Pick up a few and compare their weight to their size to sort out the best.
- For cantaloupes, look for pronounced “netting” (the texture on the outside of the melon), a golden color underneath the netting, and a gentle, fragrant smell.
- Watermelons should sound hollow when you tap them. You also want a nice yellow or creamy “field spot” (the place where the melon was lying in the field). If your melon doesn’t have one, or it’s white, it didn’t get to ripen long enough on the vine.
- Honeydew are tricky – they don’t continue to ripen after they’re picked, and they don’t give as many visual clues as to their status. But, go for melons that have more golden vs. green coloring for a better bet.
- Want extra help? Ask someone in the produce department or chat with the farmer who grew it. They’re always happy to help!
Now all you’ve got to do is haul your tasty fruit home and get cooking! From apps to entrees to desserts to drinks, get melons into every part of your summer meals: