15 Minute Meal: Steak Caesar with Escarole
Had a busy day? Prepare this delicious and nutritious 15 Minute Meal!
Caesar steak salad in minutes.
- 4 pieces flat-iron or hanger steak (6-8 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 halved, divided
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Lots of coarse black pepper
- About 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus additional for drizzling
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
- 2 medium or 1 large head escarole, washed, dried and coarsely chopped
- 1 ciabatta roll, split lengthwise or 1/3 of a ciabatta loaf, toasted and cut into quarters
- Anchovy fillets (optional)
Bring the steak to room temperature and season with salt and pepper.
Rub a large, shallow salad bowl with the cut sides of the halved garlic clove. Next, grate or chop and mash all of the garlic and place in the bottom of the bowl. Add the anchovy paste and squeeze the lemon juice into the bowl. Add the egg yolk, if using, and the Worcestershire sauce and lots of black pepper to the bowl, then whisk in the EVOO, about 1/3 cup. Stir in the cheese and add the escarole to the bowl. Chop the toasted ciabatta bread into bite-size cubes and toss together with the escarole and dressing. Let the salad stand for 10 minutes to marinate, which will wilt the escarole and soften the croutons.
Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over high heat. Wipe the pan with a little EVOO or drizzle the steaks with some EVOO. Cook the steaks for 3-4 minutes on the first side and for 2 minutes on the other side for medium-rare. Add a few minutes to cook time for medium-well doneness. Let the meat stand for a couple of minutes, then slice and serve over the salad.