Serve with Fennel and Celery Slaw Salad.
- 1 pound whole-wheat cassarecci, rigatoni or penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 slices lean peppered bacon, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can crushed fire roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- Black pepper
- A handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Shredded sharp white Cheddar, to pass at table
Heat water to boil for pasta, season with salt and cook pasta to al dente.
Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, a turn of the pan. Add bacon and crisp 4-5 minutes then add onions and garlic cook to soften, 5-6 minutes. Stir in stock then tomatoes and season with pepper to taste. Simmer sauce 15 minutes. Toss pasta with sauce and parsley. Serve with grated sharp white Cheddar.