Barbecued Beef and Pepper Stir-Fry
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 pound flank steak, halved lengthwise into 2 long pieces each about 2 1/2-inches wide
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 shot Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry, divided
- 2 tablespoons stir-fry or peanut oil
- 1 to 2 red finger chili peppers
- 2 to 3 mild red or green peppers, such as red frying or field pepper, cubanelle or bell, seeded, halved and sliced
- 1 red or yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Ground Szechuan or black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 round tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Tamari or dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Sa Cha sauce or 3 tablespoons Hoisin (Chinese barbecue sauce )
- 1 bunch scallions or green spring onions, sliced on bias
- Brown rice, cooked in chicken stock to package directions, for serving
Freeze beef 15 minutes then thinly slice. Toss the sliced steak with cornstarch and about1 tablespoon of Shaoxing or sherry. Marinate 15 minutes.
Heat a stir-fry or round-bottom pan over high heat with stir-fry oil. Add beef and brown well; transfer to a plate. Add peppers, onions, garlic, ground pepper and cumin, and stir-fry 2-3 minutes more. Add Worcestershire, sugar, remaining shot of Shaoxing sherry, soy sauce, Sa Cha or Hoisin, and toss to combine. Add the beef back to the pan, toss quickly then remove pan from heat and toss in the scallions. Serve over brown rice.