Barbecued Shrimp in Lettuce Wraps
Low-carb shrimp in lettuce wraps get a hot and sweet kick from orange marmalade, hoisin sauce and crushed red pepper flakes and a cool down from the lettuce. –RR
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Light oil, such as vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade (eyeball it)
- 1/2 cup hoisin (Chinese barbecue sauce), available on the Asian foods aisle
- Bibb lettuce, for wrapping
- 1/4 cucumber, julienne sliced
Pre-heat a grill pan over high heat. Toss shrimp with a drizzle of oil and season with crushed red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Mix in marmalade and hoisin sauce.
Grill the shrimp for 2 minutes on the first side, then turn and baste liberally with the sauce. Cook a minute or two longer, then turn and baste again. Cook 1 minute more, then transfer to a serving dish.
To eat, wrap shrimp in lettuce with cucumber.