Bitter Caesar Salad
Serve with Saffron Spaghetti alla Carbonara.
- 1 rounded teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Coarse black pepper
- 2 small heads or 1 large head escarole, coarsely chopped or torn
- 1 head Treviso (long leaf radicchio) coarsely chopped or torn
- 1 cup store-bought good quality croutons or 2-3 slices semolina bread, toasted and cubed
In a salad bowl, combine the anchovy paste, mustard, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice, then stream in the EVOO to form a dressing. Stir in the cheese and lots of black pepper. Add the escarole and Treviso and croutons or cubed toasted bread and toss to combine.