Black Bean and Kale Tortilla Soup
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 6 corn tortillas, halved then thickly sliced across
- All-natural pump olive or grapeseed oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- About 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (half a palmful) coriander
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, lightly drained
- 1 bunch flat-leaf kale, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips or chopped
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock plus 2 cups water
- Lime wedges
- Sliced radishes
- Diced avocado
- Queso Fresco or Cotija crumbles
- Cilantro leaves
Preheat oven to 375°F. Scatter tortilla strips on a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake to deep golden then season with salt.
Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions, garlic, jalapeño, salt, pepper, cumin and coriander, and stir to tender, 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with green chilies, black beans, kale, stock and water, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes for soup to thicken a bit and flavors to combine.
To serve, pile some toasted tortilla pieces in a shallow bowl and top with radishes and avocado. Pour a few ladles of soup over and garnish with cheese, cilantro and scallions.