This bruschetta has all the components of a true BLT and more! Delish!
- 1/2 package bacon, chopped
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
- 3 avocados, ripened
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, mashed into a paste
- 2 pints heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Pre-heat a grill or the broiler.
Pre-heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
Slice the bread into slices about one inch thick. Char them on both sides on the grill or under the broiler. Remove and reserve.
In a medium size mixing bowl, mash up the avocados with half of the lemon juice, salt, pepper and mashed garlic, then spread some avocado mash onto each piece of sliced charred bread.
In another mixing bowl, mix up the chopped tomatoes with the tarragon, basil, salt, pepper, reserved bacon, the juice of the remaining half lemon and some EVOO. Top each of the avocado smeared bread slices with some of the tomato, bacon and herb mixture.