Humans will enjoy sharing this dish with a salad and their pets.
Check out more pet-friendly recipes!
Note: Always check with your vet about which foods are appropriate for you to share with your pet.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion (to be grated for its juice – Isaboo loved the flavor but couldn’t break down onions)
- 2/3 cup arborio rice
- 2/3 cup barley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth or low sodium chicken broth, warmed over a low flame
- 1 pound ground veal or turkey
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a few generous handfuls)
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Pre-heat a deep skillet or wide 4-quart saucepan over medium heat.
Add the EVOO, two turns of the pan, and the garlic, then grate the onion juice into the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the rice and barley. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the wine, raise the heat to medium-high and cook away the liquid, about 1 minute. Add a few ladles of the warm stock to cover the rice and barley, then drop in the ground meat in small bits. Stir frequently and continue to ladle in the stock until the rice and barley are cooked al dente, about 22 minutes. Stir in the cheese, adjust the seasoning and garnish with the parsley.