Breadless Butternut Stuffing
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced 1 into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- Olive oil, for drizzling plus 1 tablespoon
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound spicy country-style sausage (such as Oscar’s breakfast bulk) or sweet Italian sausage with fennel
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large Honeycrisp apples, skin left on and chopped
- 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 2 medium or 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or turkey stock
- 1/4 cup onion jam
- 3 rounded tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat oven to 400°F. Dress butternut squash with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Roast to golden brown and cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
Heat oil, 1 turn of the pan, in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Brown and crumble sausage; remove. Add butter, melt then add apples, celery and onions. Season with salt, pepper and herbs; cook to tender, 8-10 minutes.
In a small skillet, combine stock, jam, mustard and syrup. Simmer to thicken into a glaze/sauce, 5 minutes or so.
Combine squash, sausage, apples, celery and onion, and stir in the glaze to coat and make your stuffing ingredients cling to each other.