Pizza for breakfast? You got it with this one!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage, chopped into chunks
- 1 cup pepperoni, chopped into chunks
- 2 bell peppers, choose your favorite colors
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn, divided
- A dozen eggs
- A splash of milk or half-and-half (whatever you put in your coffee)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (whatever kind you like)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
Place a large, nonstick, ovensafe skillet over medium heat with two turns of the pan EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the sausage and cook until golden brown, 7-8 minutes. Throw in the pepperoni and peppers and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
While the toppings are cooking, place a small saucepan over medium heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO and sauté the garlic and onion for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a bubble. Season with oregano and half of the basil.
Beat together the eggs with some salt and milk, then pour over the skillet with the sausage and peppers. Let the eggs set, then transfer the pan to the oven. When it looks almost cooked through, about 10 minutes, remove it from the oven and coat the top with sauce. Top the pizza with the cheeses and return it to the oven to finish cooking and melt the cheeses, 3-4 minutes.
Remove the pizza from oven, top with the remaining basil, cut into wedges and serve.