Buffalo-Style Chicken Cordon “Blue”
Hot sauce spices up this sensational Chicken Cordon “Blue.”
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices French-style ham or other wet-cured ham
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4-1/3 cup cornstarch (eyeball it)
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- About 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- Canola or other high temperature oil, for shallow frying
- Carrot and celery sticks, for garnish
Split the breasts open and cut them across horizontally. Pound the meat out a little, then stuff the breasts with the ham and cheese. Fold the chicken over and press the edges together to secure the stuffed breasts. Season with salt and pepper and coat first in the flour mixed with cornstarch, then the egg whites, then the breadcrumbs tossed with the melted butter and mixed with hot sauce.
Heat a shallow layer of oil about a quarter-inch deep in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken on each side until golden and cooked through, about 6 minutes on each side. Drain the chicken briefly on paper towels and serve with carrot and celery sticks alongside.