Buffalo Turkey Sloppy Joes
Low fat ground turkey in a tasty barbecue-style sauce is delicious in these Sloppy Joes. Serve with Blue Cheese Ranch dressing (recipe included).
For the Sloppy Joes:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- Celery salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 5-6 ribs celery, 2-3 finely chopped, and a few ribs cut into sticks for plate garnish
- 4-5 carrots, 2 peeled and finely chopped, and 2-3 cut into sticks for plate garnish
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup beer or chicken stock
- 1/4-1/2 cup medium to extra spicy hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (14 ounces)
- 12 soft hamburger rolls
For the Blue Cheese Ranch:
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, chives and parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or cider vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3-1/2 cup buttermilk
- Chopped dill pickles
- Chopped raw onion or scallions
For the sloppy joes:
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter foams, add the turkey. Brown and crumble. Season with celery salt and pepper. Add the thyme, chopped celery, chopped carrots, garlic and onion. Cook, partially covered, to soften, 12-15 minutes, then deglaze the pan with the beer. Add the hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce; simmer to thicken. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Re-heat over medium heat to bubbly hot.
For the dressing:
In a bowl, combine the blue cheese, sour cream, herbs, lemon juice, garlic and some salt and pepper. Whisk in as little or as much of the buttermilk to the dressing for the consistency you like.
Serve the sloppy buffalo meat on rolls topped with the pickles, onions and a dollop of dressing. Serve the additional dressing for dipping the carrot and celery sticks alongside.