Charred Spanish Ham and Cheese Melts and “Hot” Olives with Herbs and Spices
- 8 slices crusty bread from a good-sized loaf, 1/2-inch thick, at least 5 inches across and 3 inches wide
- 1/3 pound thinly slices serrano ham
- 1/3-1/2 pound manchego, thinly sliced with sharp knife or cheese plane
- 1 cup hot pickled vegetable salad of cauliflower, carrots, celery and hot peppers (giardiniera) drained,
- 1/2 cup sweet pickled red pepper relish or sweet pickle relish
- 2 cups mixed good quality olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
Layer serrano and cheese in equal amounts on 4 slices of bread. Grind the hot pickled vegetables and the sweet pickle relish in food processor and pulse chop to make a relish. Spread the relish evenly on sandwich tops and set into place.
Place olives in a foil pouch and season with thyme, lemon zest, cumin seeds and red pepper flakes. Drizzle with EVOO and seal the pouch. Place pouch on grill and cook a few minutes on each side to heat the olives, herb and spices.
Pre-heat grill or grill pan to medium high.
Place sandwiches on grill and weight down with heavy skillet or a brick covered in foil. Char and heat the sandwiches through, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
Cut sammies in half and serve with “Hot” Olives alongside.