Chic Greek Salad
This salad is light, yet filling, and makes a satisfying lunch or a nice summer dinner.
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, chopped
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts in water, drained
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cans tuna in oil, drained
- 12 pepperoncini peppers
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
Arrange the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, peppers, artichoke hearts and parsley on a platter. Squeeze the lemon juice over the platter, juicing the fruit cut-side facing up to keep the seeds from falling into salad. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the shallots, vinegar and oregano in a bowl and let stand five minutes. Whisk in EVOO in a slow stream. Pour dressing over salad. Garnish salad with chunks of tuna, pepperoncinis and olives.