Chicken and Biscuit Sliders with Smoky Chard Slaw
Serve with Oven Fries and Spicy Gravy.
- 8 buttermilk biscuits (make them from scratch, from a store-bought buttermilk biscuit mix or use good quality, store-bought buttermilk biscuits), warmed and split
- 8 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, trimmed into 3-4-ounce pieces to fit biscuits
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or chopped, then mashed into paste
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder (a couple of palmfuls)
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika or smoked sweet paprika (a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger (half a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/3 palmful)
- Vegetable or any light frying oil, plus additional, for drizzling
- 4 slices smoky, thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 bundle Swiss chard, stemmed, cleaned, dried and shredded
- 2 tablespoons cider or wine vinegar
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Honey, for drizzling
- Hot sauce, for garnish
If you’re making your own biscuits or baking using a mix, prepare the biscuits – you need a 3- to 4-inch biscuit.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Mix the sour cream with chives and garlic. Coat the chicken in the sour cream mix.
Place the flour, mustard powder, poultry seasoning, onion powder, paprika, ginger and cayenne in a paper sack.
Heat a couple of inches of oil in a heavy pot over medium to medium-high heat. The oil is ready for frying when bubbles pour out rapidly from the inserted handle of a wooden spoon.
Meanwhile, add a drizzle of oil to a skillet with a tight-fitting lid. With the lid off, heat the oil over medium-high heat, then add the bacon. When it’s crisp, about 3 minutes, add shredded the chard and toss to wilt. Season with pepper and a few grates of nutmeg. Reduce the heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 8-10 minutes, then turn off the heat.
Add the chicken to the flour and seasonings in the paper sack, roll the top down and shake the bag. Shake any excess flour off the chicken pieces and add the chicken to the hot frying oil. Fry the chicken thighs for 7-8 minutes, until deeply golden. Remove from the frying oil with a spider or tongs and cool on a cooling rack.
Dress the chicken with a drizzle of honey and a few dashes if hot sauce on each piece. To serve, place the chicken on the biscuit bottoms, then top with the greens and biscuit tops.