Chicken and Broccoli Peanut Noodles with Cucumber Carrot Salad
- 1 pound bucatini pasta
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds thin-cut chicken cutlets, sliced into thin strips
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped or finely grated
- 1 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 English (seedless) cucumbers
- 2 medium size carrots
- 2 tablespoons honey (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (eyeball it)
- 1/4 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 6 scallions, white and green parts cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 20 leaves basil, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring up to a boil to cook the pasta. Once the water is boiling, add some salt and the pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions. Right before draining, remove and reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
While the water is coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of vegetable oil, about 2 tablespoons. Once the skillet is hot, add the chicken, then spread it out in an even layer and let it brown up for 3-4 minutes. Stir the chicken, then add the garlic, ginger, red bell peppers, broccoli, crushed red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring every now and then, for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken stock and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
For the salad, trim the end off the cucumbers and shave the cucumbers into long ribbon-like strips with a peeler. Place the cucumbers into a salad bowl and do the same thing to the carrots. In another bowl, combine the honey and white wine vinegar and whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Pour over the cucumbers, season with some salt and pepper and toss to combine.
While the chicken and veggies are cooking, in a bowl, combine the peanut butter, Tamari (eyeball it) and lime zest and juice. Add the pasta to the chicken and veggies along with the scallions, cilantro and basil. Toss to combine. Add the reserved pasta cooking liquid to the peanut butter mixture and stir to combine. Turn the heat off the skillet and pour the peanut mixture over the skillet. Toss to combine.
Serve the chicken on top of a portion of the peanut noodles, sprinkle with the chopped peanuts and serve alongside the salad.