Chicken and Gravy Sandwiches
- 2-3 lemons, juiced (enough to yield 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- Half a palmful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 large or 3-4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 loaf crusty French bread or 2 batardes (shorter, slightly wider baguettes)
Pre-heat the oven to low heat.
In a bowl, add the lemon juice, sugar or honey, parsley, garlic and EVOO. Stir to combine. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the dressing, turning to coat. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
Heat a large skillet, broiler, grill or grill pan. Shake off the excess marinade and cook the chicken for 6 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a cutting board, let rest for a few minutes and slice on an angle.
While the chicken marinates and cooks, add the butter to a saucepot over medium heat. When the butter melts, stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock. Cook until thickened to a light gravy, about 5-6 minutes. Season with black pepper, remove from the heat and stir in the Dijon.
While the chicken cooks, crisp the bread in the warm oven.
Cut the bread into four portions and split or halve it. Use tongs to dip the sliced chicken in the gravy and fill the rolls. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.