Chicken Bagel Sandwiches with Bacon-Walnut Cream Cheese
A rich bacon-walnut spread paired with chicken and greens sits inside pumpernickel bagels.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 package Neufchael (8 ounces), softened
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 6 scallions, chopped
- A pinch of freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, split lengthwise into 4 cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 green apple, such as Granny Smith, thinly sliced
- 2 small ribs celery with leafy tops, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 4 pumpernickel bagels, split and toasted
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Arrange the bacon on a broiler pan; bake until crisp, 12-14 minutes. Let cool, then chop.
In a medium size bowl, mix the bacon, Neufchatel, nuts, scallions and nutmeg.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a heavy skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan. Add the chicken; cook until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
In a medium size bowl, whisk the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey and the remaining 3 tablespoons EVOO. Toss with the apple, celery, onion and watercress. Season.
Slather the bagel bottoms with the Neufchatel mixture. Top with a cutlet and salad, then add the bagel tops.