Chicken Cacciatore Subs
These subs are perfect for movie night or for watching the Big Game. They’ll quickly become a family favorite.
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts (6-8 ounces each)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
- Grill seasoning blend, or salt and pepper
- 4 sub rolls, split
- 2 cloves garlic, cracked away from skins
- 1 teaspoon red crushed pepper flakes
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, white or brown skinned, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (1/3 palmful)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or stock, chicken or beef flavor
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 pound deli sliced provolone
Heat a grill pan or large skillet. Drizzle chicken with EVOO to cover, and season with grill seasoning blend or salt and pepper. Grill or pan fry six minutes on each side.
Heat broiler, lightly toast rolls on cookie sheet and remove.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add two tablespoons EVOO, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, mushrooms, peppers, onions and oregano. Sauté veggies and season with salt and pepper. Cook five minutes, then deglaze the pan with wine or stock. Pick up tasty bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or heat safe spatula. Add tomatoes and parsley to the sauce. Slice chicken breasts on an angle and set into sauce. Pile chicken and veggies into sub rolls and cover with sliced provolone. Melt cheese under hot broiler. Serve.